[X4U] Noise: prank on a PC user (long)

Mark Des Cotes mark at astroprinting.com
Wed Jan 19 06:12:52 PST 2005

Sorry for the off topic but I just had to share this.

Background: Two of my buddies and I have been friends since grade
school. Scott and I are die hard Mac users and use them at home and at
work. Rob, although he loves using our Macs, is a PC user due to his
job, he's never had a home computer. When Rob mentioned that he was
thinking of getting a computer for home, we naturally started showing
him the various Macs options he could choose from. We though we had
convinced him to get an eMac when he surprised us one day by saying he
had ordered a Dell.

Rob received his computer and hooked it up yesterday. The first thing
he did once it was up and running was to email the two of us to gloat
at how fast his new XP machine was. Scott and I, emailing each other
privately, decided to have some fun with Rob. We both replied to his
email claiming to have received two identical messages from him. To ad
to the fun we sent two identical replies to him. Now Rob, thinking he's
done something wrong starts sending us test emails which we keep
claiming to have received two of and we make sure to send two copies of
every emails we send him. After a while he writes us saying that he
tried his brother and another friend and only got one reply from each
of them and the problem seems to be isolated to Scott and I. To add to
the fun, I send him a single email from my .mac account. then follow up
with two from my work account. He's really confused.

We decide to up the fun. I email Scott some party pictures we had
taken. Scott replies (twice) to me with CCs to Rob. In the quoted
message Scott changes it so that it looks like my original message was
also sent to Rob. Now Rob is wondering why he never received the
message with the photos. We followed this with messages (two of each)
asking him if he was receiving the emails with attachments we were
sending (which of course we never actually sent). We could tell from
his emails that Rob was getting frustrated. After not hearing from him
for awhile he emails us saying that he's been on the phone with Dell
and that the tech guy was having him try all sorts of things. (we feel
sorry for the IT guy, but at least he's paid by the hour.)

We kept it going all day. I talked to Rob last night, he was so
frustrated that he came out and said he should have taken our advice
and bought the eMac. I guaranteed him that if he would have purchased a
Mac he wouldn't be experiencing these problems.

Scott, Rob and I are meeting for lunch today where we're planning to
tell Rob everything. He's usually a good sport about these things, and
Scott and I owe him for past pranks he's pulled on us.