[X4U] Opened for the first time

Craig craig at craigwdesigns.com
Wed Jan 19 15:03:59 PST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 1:23 PM, Bill White wrote:

> On 1/19/05 3:30 PM, Michel Treisman <treisman at psy.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know which cache it is?  Can one exclude that cache
>> from cache cleaning by Cocktail?
>
> I believe it's the LaunchServices cache, and I see no way to exclude
> that in
> Cocktail.

It's caused by apps like Cocktail or Onyx deleting a file called:
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices.6B.csstore

You could make a backup copy of that file, after starting all apps.
Might need to preserve permissions.

AFAIK, I think the latest Cocktail doesn't destroy that by default
anymore. Now there's an item in the "Misc" tab of the "System" pane,
called "Rebuild Launch Services database". Don't know if that's
actually rebuilding anything or what.
I've been using a very excellent freeware that came out recently,
called Yasu:
<http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13416>
and on it, I have unchecked a box labelled "Reset trusted applications"
very nice!

-Craig