[X4U] Backup software

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Thu Jan 20 19:03:38 PST 2005

on 05/01/20 11:33, Robert at rashton at telus.net wrote:

> First off thanks Nick for all of your help with my dvd. Can some one
> recommend backup software that does auto backups to a windows 2003
> server. TIA  Bob

Let us know how this works out for you.  When I tried doing daily backups to
a Windows 2000 server, I was often having trouble with illegal characters in
filenames, creating files that could not be deleted if the pathname got too
long; and other little snafues involving file permissions, resource forks,
hidden files, etc.  Backing up to a Windows server is OK in theory, but in
practice it required frequent manual intervention.

I ended up buying two firewire disks; one to keep in my cubicle and one at
home.  I do automatic daily backups to each, and as long as I remember to
plug them into my powerbook they run without a hitch about 98% of the time.

Jerry