[X4U] Need Finder help

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 11:21:36 PST 2005

On 01/21/05, Keith Whaley <keith_w at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I have a MDD PowerMac G4/OS 10.2.8/over Gig of RAM/80 Gb HD.
>
> I want to index my HD, in order to make the Finder/Find feature as
> effective as possible. I figured Hard Drive "indexing" was the
> appropriate action to take. After I select Finder/File/Get Info/Content
> Index/Index Now... the Index Now button fades out, like it's going to do
> something, but it just blinks, and goes right back to the Content Index
> window. Nothing happens.
>
> I went to my built-in Mac Help and it says to do what I described above,
> so that's no help.
>
> The Macintosh website itself is worthless unless you subscribe to their
> service, so that's out, too.

Which Macintosh website is that which you find worthless and requires a
subscription? Apple's Knowledge Base is free. A quick search at
<http://search.info.apple.com/> for "indexing" yielded this:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24976>, among other things.

BTW, the index consists of two invisible files located at your drive's root
level: .FBCIndex and
.FBCLockFolder. One or both of those might be corrupted. Delete them and
repeat the Index Now command.