[X4U] SMART Drive Status

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Jul 1 21:04:25 PDT 2005

On 07/01/05, Nick Scalise <nickscalise at mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys. I did immediately order another drive for it. I will
> replace it as soon as the new drive arrives using the Tiger DVD's
> Disk Utility 'Restore' function.
>
> The machine is on a regularly scheduled backup to tape routine, so we
> shouldn't lose any files. However, restoring from tape is more of a
> pain than just duping the drive from Restore on the DVD.
>
> Is it safe to assume that the Restore function inside the DiskUtility
> on the Tiger DVD will do exactly what I'm looking for, right?

That shouldl work if you properly format the new disk (I suggest zeroing
out the new drive, and formatting it HFS+, journaling off) and install it
internally. If the failing drive doesn't fail during the restore procedure.
If you access to an external FWHD, I'd backup your critical data (Users
folder should be sufficient) before trying the DVD's DU restore option.
That way, you can always do a clean install and update to 10.4.1 on the new
drive and then copy the User folder from the backup.