[X4U] Cheapest "server" set up?

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sat Jul 2 11:07:35 PDT 2005

At 12:53 -0500  on 7/2/05, Anne-Marie Concepcion wrote:

>Wow, Neil, thanks, this gives me hope ...
>
>when you say "gave fileshare full permissions to Lurch," what do you
>mean exactly. Is this a Sharepoints setup thing or is it a Finder
>thing ... and if it's a finder thing, do you mean that, logged on as
>"fileshare," you selected the Lurch folder at the root directory,
>opened Get Info, and set the user, group and Others all to Read and
>Write? Which "group" was it, if that makes a diff?

I made a user named Fileshare on the fileserver l. . .using the
Accounts prefpane. Then I went into Sharepoints on the Groups tab and
created a group named LurchUsers  . . .then put the Fileshare account
in this group.

Next, go to the Normal Shares on the Sharepoints tab and create the
share. I selected a sharename of Lurch, set the path to /Lurch, set
owner to neill (the main admin account on the fileserver), Group to
LurchUsers, and gave Owner, Group, and Everyone R/W privs.

Now when you mount the server volume from another machine using a
username of Fileshare to login you get Lurch mounted on the desktop
with full R/W privs. You then put all the files you want to share
inside Lurch and anybody can connect to Lurch and
read/write/add/edit/whatever files.

Nothing goes in Fileshare's home folder . . .you could have set it up
this way but I didn't.

>>For this . . . I mount it via IP so it's user:password at ip/Lurch . .
>>. I have set up a static IP on my fileserver for this reason.
>
>The user and password would be the remote Mac's username/password
>for their own home folder, or would it be the one for user
>"fileshare" on the server? I'm assuming the latter but just checking.

The one for Fileshare . . .you're connecting to the fileserver so you
have to use a valid username for the fileserver.

>I think I can get a static IP on the "server" because we're using a
>switch/hub with NAT. So it'd be something like 192.168.254.105. (the
>other macs are all the same except for .102, .103, etc.) Does that
>sound right?

Right . . .The switch/router will assign an IP to each machine.
Normally this changes from time to time . . .but you can either
choose a static IP not in the DHCP range that the router is handing
out and put it in the fileserver . . . or you can use what's called
MAC address filtering on the router. In this case . . .you go into
it's settings and tell it to assign IP's via DHCP but to reserve a
particualar IP for MAC address whatever for the fileserver. You can
get the MAC address from the Network prefpane under Ethernet tab . .
. it's called Ethernet ID.

>>I personally wouldn't use a laptop for this purpose . . .I would
>>use either a Mini or a used G4 for the purpose.
>
>Any reason in particular? Deskspace is at a premium so I don't want
>a tower and monitor or anything for this thing. Would probably go
>with a mini, but after small used LCD monitor and keyboard/mouse,
>it'd cost the same as a used G4 powerbook or ibook.

No real reason I guess . . .just that using a laptop as a server
seems wrong somehow. It's not really . . .if you set the laptop to
never sleep and never spin down the hard drive it will work fine for
light to medium loads (say less than 4 or so users and no 100+ MB
files). Just make sure you've got an adequate backup scheme in place
for whatever you do use as the fileserver.