[X4U] OT: utility for erasing mini DV tapes?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Mon Jul 4 15:51:43 PDT 2005

I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about completely erasing a
miniDV tape back to something like it's original blank state.
(Where, if you play the tape, it simply shows up as a blue screen, at
least on my Canon miniDV camcorder).  I would like to erase some
tapes for later use, as I typically import all of my video into
iMovie.  I know that I can erase the video just by recording with the
lens cap closed, but then if I stop-start in future recordings,
iMovie keeps those small sections as individual clips.

Does anyone know a utility that allows for true erasure, rather then
over-recording?

(Yes, I've consulted the Canon camcorder manual).

Thanks!