[X4U] Man arrested for using Open Wireless network (was Re: Wireless "theft" )

keithw keith_w at dslextreme.com
Thu Jul 7 03:20:43 PDT 2005

Timothy Luoma wrote:

> http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/04/State/Wi_Fi_cloaks_a_new_br.shtml
>
> Man arrested for using open wireless

To be a bit more precise or to put it more accurately, he wasn't
arrested for USING an open wireless computer setup, he was arrested for
hacking into someone else's wireless system! I applaud the move, but
let's get the emphasis correct.
Maybe someone will get the guts to prosecute the thieves that steal
music and other items online.
Thievery is thievery, but present day mores argue against any
interference with their ME, ME, ME attitudes.

This is not a comment on you, Timothy, it's a comment on the headline
"Man arrested for using open wireless," which is incorrect.

> "Police say Benjamin Smith III, 41, used his Acer brand laptop to hack
> into Dinon's wireless Internet network. The April 20 arrest is
> considered the first of its kind in Tampa Bay and among only a few so
> far nationwide."

keith whaley