[X4U] Re: Tiger applescript to remove drives

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Jul 8 13:41:33 PDT 2005

...... Original Message .......
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:19:35 +0100 "Stroller" <MacMonster at myrealbox.com>
wrote:
>On Jul 8, 2005, at 5:10 am, Timothy Luoma wrote:
>>
>> I believe that the proper way to do this would be to edit /etc/fstab
>> with the 'ignore'
>
>Nope. Darwin mostly ignores /etc/fstab, apart from initial booting of
>the system drive, I think. Certainly additional volumes aren't listed
>there - they're all mounted automagically by another part of Mac OS X,
>and that's why the OP needs to then unmount them.

additional volumes aren't listed there by default, no...but if you added
them with "ignore" would it work?

I don't have a 2nd drive to test this with but I know that OpenStep didn't
list other volumes in /etc/fstab but would use it if it was there.

That said I have not found any info on using fstab with OS X except the man
page of course.

TjL