[X4U] Spotlight - Searching For An Exact String

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Jul 11 14:02:20 PDT 2005

On 07/11/05, keithw <keith_w at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Kirk McElhearn wrote:
>> On Jul 11, 2005, at 7:09 PM, revDAVE wrote:
>>
>>> I am curious, I am not sure whether spotlight or the new tiger find
>>> command
>>> are capable of doing the following: searching for an Exact String
>>> inside of a content search...
>>> Such issue would use @ Google when you enclose  a
>>> phrase in quotes...
>
>> When you search for a string in quotes in Spotlight, it only looks in
>> file names...
>
> And, there's no option to search for a string in the text body, in
> addition to the title of the document or folder?
> If not, that's a serious deficiency. And after they touted Spotlight so
> heavily, it's a crippled search tool?

Basically, yes Spotlight has serious limitations in spite of this
claim-"Start finding. With Spotlight, you can find anything on your
computer as quickly as you type. Search your entire system from one placeŠ"
at <http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/spotlight/>. Obviously, Apple
Marketing HYPE, to the nth degree.

For the other discussions on "problems" with Spotlight, see
<http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@280.eC1caoGw1iJ.0@.68ac180d> and
the other link: "The Emperor's New Clothes":
(<http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@994.RInEaX4b0UM.2@.68b04558>).