[X4U] Re: Playing avi files on QT

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Jul 12 19:25:56 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:44:24PM CDT, Wayne Clodfelter <wayne at troutnc.com> wrote:
:
: Pay attention, Eugene.
: What you're saying, using way too many words, is that the answer is no,
: right? Once you figure out the codec, you're STILL not going to get it
: to play in QT. Why didn't you just say so?

I didn't just say so because you didn't just ask so.  You asked too many
questions to be covered by a simple "yes" or "no" answer, as well as
some "Why?" questions that require a deeper explanation and not just
a binary response.  I though Steven's answer covered the bases pretty
well.  But your response indicated that while he answered the question
you wrote down in your message, he failed to answer the question that
was in your mind.

: And I still don't buy all this itty bitty unknown codec mumbo-jombo.
: That would imply that some avis use bigger well-known codecs, so they
: SHOULD play in QT. Right?

Your assumptions are incorrect.  Examples of "lesser-known codecs"
include DivX and XviD container formats, neither of which are supported
out of the box by both OS X & Windoze and require 3rd-party downloads.
Also, a lot of DivX or XviD videos tend to be ripped and not-legally
distributed copyrighted content.

Examples of "bigger well-known codecs" that were not supported by
QuickTime Player include some Intel Indeo codecs that lived during
the last days of Mac OS 9.