[X4U] OT - Unscientific Speed Test - PC-Mac-FileMaker

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Fri Jul 15 10:07:38 PDT 2005

On 15 Jul 2005, at 17:50, Charles Schneider wrote:

> You said in an earlier post that you have a DP mac.  If I am
> running an app that uses both processors I get numbers closer to
> 190%.  Looks to me (very untrained eye) that FM is only using one cpu

FileMaker Pro has always been a single threaded app. AFAIK, this
means that it can only use one processor at a time. As the G5 chip
lags the Intel competition in terms of outright speed in most things
(hence the need for DP machines), generally one finds that FileMaker
runs slower on the Mac compared with Wintel.

I accept that there are a few generalizations in the above para, but
this is my layman's understanding of the situation.

Simon Forster