[X4U] OT - Unscientific Speed Test - PC-Mac-FileMaker

Edward Hillenbrand contact at verticaleye.net
Sun Jul 17 12:44:48 PDT 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 7:51 AM, revDAVE wrote:

> Test 2: loop 1 to 20000 in filemaker 6...
>
>  activity Monitor = 96.5% CPU

As a software developer this is unbelievable. If I'm understanding
you correctly, your essentially telling FileMaker to count and do
nothing during each iteration.  Right?

I wrote a program similar to yours in C to speed test my system.  On
any modern system it should complete almost instantly.  On my single
processor 1 Ghz G4 counting to 20000 and doing nothing takes 0.000544
seconds.  This is so fast that the program doesn't even show up in
Activity Monitor.  If I do something like output some text during the
loop then the program uses about 1% of the CPU. So, either FileMaker
is unbelievably slow (someone said that had already been established)
or I've misunderstood you.