[X4U] Services keyboard shortcuts conflict

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Jul 18 18:22:13 PDT 2005

On 07/18/05, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 7/18/05 2:12 PM, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
>> On 07/18/05, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I typed in Command-Shift-A to access the Applications folder in an Open
>>> dialog box and instead it launched Acquisition, which has a Service called
>>> Search with Acquisition. Similarly, the Services Open URL in Camino,
>>> OmniWeb, and Opera all use Command-Shift-U, which is supposed to go to the
>>> Utilities folder. What can I do about these keyboard shortcut conflicts?
>>
>> AFAIK, SysPrefs->Keyboard & Mouse->Keyboard shortcuts->add/delete shortcuts
>> for system and applications.
>
> I'm not finding that it allows you to remove Keyboard shortcuts for
> Services. Are you seeing something I'm not?

Yes. Select Applications at the bottom, click on add button, click on All
Applications menu, select the app whose shortcut you want to change, or if
it isn't there, then select other, type in the "exact" menu title you want
to change (get it from /Application name/Services/Service/menu title,
exactly as shown), type in new Keyboard shortcut or delete the current one,
and click Add button. AFAIK, that should change it. You may have to
restart. I didn't change any, since I don't have any of the ones you listed
and none that I do have appear to conflict with the system ones.

More information at Help->Mac Help-> search on keyboard shortcuts. Maybe
the global or applications ones might help.

Also, you might want to peruse
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/appservices/concepts/chapter_2_section_1.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000993-CH205>.
If you can't get it to work as I outlined it above, you might be forced to
deconstruct the application to find where the menu item (specified in
/Resources/ServicesMenu.strings) is connected to its keyboard shortcut.
That's way beyond my ken.

Your only other option is to contact the 3rd-party builders of those
apps/plugins that there's a conflict with Apple's shortcuts.