[X4U] Good Reading

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Jul 19 06:57:46 PDT 2005

On Jul 18, 2005, at 6:33 PM, Stroller wrote:

> Installing Windows tends to be more problematic than installing OS
> X because you may well have a modem, sound- or video-card in your
> machine for which there are no drivers on the Windows CD. It's easy
> for me to sort that out now, but some of the the nastier hardware
> I've found in Windows 98 machines would take literally hours to
> find the drivers for.

Thanks for the nasty flashbacks!

But my PC-using friends (who don't know Mac) say XP makes everything
just as easy as the Mac!

It's very educational to hear from people supporting both platforms.
Although I use Windows quite a bit, its not on machines I'm
responsible for maintaining any more (and I'm very thankful for
that). The only WinXP installs I've done have been in VPC and they
went pretty smoothly. But those installs are only used to run a
couple bits of software, not for general use (no net access or
hardware beyond KVM necessary).

-Mike