[X4U] Re: Remote access to sleeping machine

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jul 24 15:49:35 PDT 2005

On Jul 24, 2005, at 10:25 pm, Timothy Luoma wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:04:37 +0200 "Richard Clark" <mawgadog at tin.it>
> wrote:
>> i think it can be awaken with something called a magic packet.
>
> Indeed.  There's an app called "WakeOnLAN" that does that.

You need the machine's Mac address to utilise it. This won't go through
a router, but the OP doesn't discuss the machine's Internet
configuration, so it's impossible to determine whether it is possible
to wake the machine from the 'net (I think that with  some cable modem
connections it might be possible for packets to traverse the local loop
at that level??).

Of course, this isn't a relevant issue when the computer is awake, and
how would the user know if someone "somehow log[ed] onto and somehow
invade[d] his computer", but let's not let a little ignorance get in
the way of paranoia.

Stroller.