[X4U] Ownership and permissions Settings

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Wed Jul 27 12:59:17 PDT 2005

On 6/15/05 12:16 PM, "John Baltutis" <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:

> On 06/15/05, revDAVE <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:
>>
>> Using 10.3.9 -  I have a small network of a few Macs (with some external
>> FireWire drives attached) and PC's.
>>
>> Question: what the best ownership and permission settings for the Internal
>> and  FireWire drives?
>>
> normal boot volume, with you as administrator
>
>>  you can = read and write
>>   owner = xxx?
> normally, the system (root)
>>  access = xxx?
> normally, read & write
>>
>>   group = xxx?
> normally, admin
>>  access = xxx?
> normally, read & write
>>
>>   others = xxx?
> normally, read only
>
> Since you're the only one using the computers on your network, they should
> all reflect the settings on your boot volume. See the manpages for chmod,
> chown, and chgrp.

07-27-05 12-55-17 PM

Currently, even after I unchecked the little lock ( I am logged in as an
administrator) ...  The following ownership and permissions are grayed
out...

YOU CAN: -  read and write = grayed out
 owner  = system
 access = read and write = grayed out
 group = admin
 access = read and write = grayed out

 others = read only = grayed out

Q: how can I gain access to the grayed out parameters?
Q: why did this happen?

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hostalive.com