[X4U] Kernel Panics When Shutting Down

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Wed Jul 27 12:59:17 PDT 2005

On 7/27/05 2:46 PM, Richard Clark wrote:

> I would agree but the kernel panics never happened before tiger and
> they both started at the same time after install of tiger. The emac
> is also only about 6 months old.
>
> Richard
> On 27/lug/05, at 21:38, David Flory wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that kernel panics are more often the result of
>> some hardware problem. In my personal experience, the only kernel
>> panics I've had were due to a faulty USB hub or a bad memory strip.
>> See if you have the problem with no USB items except keyboar and
>> mouse. If you have the Apple hardware checking disk, try running
>> that. If comfortable with swapping memory strips in and out, try
>> that too.

Just because a third-party RAM stick or third-party keyboard was
"acceptable" to Panther does not mean that Tiger will find it so acceptable.
Third-party vendors do not always follow Apple's guidelines strictly, and
every update has the possibility of pointing this out. OS updates "break"
things all the time, especially in third-party software, if not hardware.

David's advice is exactly what an AppleCare tech would walk you through
doing as a part of troubleshooting. It can't be dismissed simply because it
didn't happen before the update -- that's all the more reason to give it a
try.

peace,
Linda