[X4U] Simple, quick and efficient scanner

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Jun 4 07:30:15 PDT 2005

Stan,

I've been very pleased with my Brother MFC-3220c multifunction
scanner.  I don't know if Brother still makes the model (I bought it
at a steep discount last year), but probably anything with a similar
form factor would work as well.

It is one of the few cheap SHEETFED multi-function scanners out there
that I could find.  I have used it to completedly empty two large
filing cabinets of files which are now digitally archived as .pdf
image files.  I use GraphicConverter as the TWAIN interface.  The
setup is fairly straightforward.  There is a scan utility included
with the Brother machine, but I only used it the first day or two. I
think it didn't do multi-page files that well/quickly.  With black
and white scans at 200 dpi, it takes about 2 seconds per page.
Naturally, grayscale or color scans take much longer, but again are
done sheetfed, so you can leave it for hours if you have to.
Unfortunately, the color scanning quality is poor by my judgement (I
tried to have it scan a stack of photos.  It scanned, but the quality
is poor).

Full disclosure: I have never even loaded the ink into the printer
because I already have a cheap Brother laser printer (bought on
advice from this group!) and I never have the need for color
printing, so I can't attest to the printing quality/function.

Michael