[X4U] Apple to move to Intel (Reuters)

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Jun 4 07:36:18 PDT 2005

These rumors have circulated for years and years.  I just don't see
Apple switching to some sort of Intel *CPU* because of the tremendous
disruption that would be seen on the developer side.  The only
scenario that I could see would be if Intel produced a CUSTOM CPU
chip with on-board emulation of the PPC, similar to the motorola
68000 emulation on the original Power Mac CPUs.

It seems strange that with all of the buzz around PowerPC in the new-
generation gaming consoles that now we'd be making the switch to Intel.

Michael