[X4U] Apple to move to Intel (Reuters)

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Jun 4 14:01:14 PDT 2005

Ted Burton said:

>I had to look at my watch to make sure this was not April 1st.

That was the first thing that I checked!

>While everyone is looking at Apple with Intel-inside, they are
>doubtless overlooking that it likely  would mean MacOS X on Intel.
>That would be to take dead aim at Windows on Windows own hardware
>platform.

Not necessarily.  First, assuming that Apple would be moving to the
Pentium, Apple could easily build boxes with ROM's that are required to
run OS X.  That would mean that WinTel boxes couldn't run OS X.

However, most folks are overlooking the fact that Intel makes chips other
than the Pentium.  Apple could be looking at the Itanium (which might
have OS X running quite a bit faster than any Windows machine).  Intel
also offers the 64-bit Xeon processor, and they even have the rights to
RISC processors through ARM, and the Alpha acquired from Digital
Semiconductor.

It could also be that Intel will provide a custom chip for Apple, just as
IBM is for Microsoft's X-Box.

We will have to wait until Monday to see what Steve Jobs announces to
know for sure.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html