[X4U] Airport Express and non-Apple base station

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 07:32:52 PDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 7:17 PM, Jesse Leo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Anyone know if it's possible to wirelessly play music from my Mac
> to my
> stereo using my existing Linksys wireless router? I would really
> like to
> avoid having to buy/set up an Apple basestation.

Not if you're thinking what I think you're thinking.

The Airport Express has extra circuitry that converts the streamed
digital music (Apple Lossless Codec) to an analog output suitable for
a stereo. I'm not aware of any other wireless base that has this
capability and will interact with iTunes.

-Mike