[X4U] Browser keeps resetting modem

Mark Des Cotes mark at astroprinting.com
Mon Jun 6 11:58:57 PDT 2005

Hi all,

iMac 400 Mhz DV, OS 10.3.9. Safari or IE.

Ever since I've upgraded from 10.3.8 to 10.3.9 I've been having
problems browsing the internet at home. Every time I click on a link my
modem resets. I have a DHCP broadband connection through my local cable
provider. The modem is an Ericson brand, I'm not at home to get the
actual model number from it. Whenever I click on a link, if I watch my
modem, all the lights turn off and then it goes through it's start up
cycle. Once the modem has reset itself I cannot connect to the internet
until I go to System Preferences > Network > Built in Ethernet and
click the "Renew DHCP lease" button. After doing this the link in my
web browser finishes loading. As soon as I click on a new link the
whole process repeats itself. This is very annoying as it takes about a
minute or more for every link I click on. I've tried Safari, IE, and
Netscape with the same results so I know it's not the browser itself. A
service tech will come by to check the modem but not until Saturday
evening.  Email and iChat and certain games and such that require an
internet connection work fine, It's only the web browsers that cause
the problem. Has anyone heard of this problem before?

Mark Des Cotes
Systems Manager/Graphic Designer

Astro Printing Service (Cornwall) Ltd.
3308 Second Street East
Cornwall Ontario Canada  K6H 6J8
T (613) 932-9281 Ext 106,  F (613) 932-1052
www.astroprinting.com