[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 14:22:39 PDT 2005

On Monday, June 06, 2005, at 04:12PM, Steve Talkowski <stevetalkowski at mac.com> wrote:

>On Jun 6, 2005, at 4:39 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:
>
>> Apple will always have proprietary chips.  It's just an Intel chip
>> working with specific Apple chips.  You can't run X on PC.
>
>Huh?!  Not according to Steve himself.
>
>Every release of Mac OS X has been compiled for Intel for the past 5 years.
>
>?As a matter of fact, this system I?ve been using here?? the
>keynote?s been running on a P4 3.6GHz all morning?

I think what he means is that you won't be able to run X on any old PC from Dell, HP, etc. Mac OS X will require Apple Hardware.

From:
<http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the+switch%2C+aligns+with+Intel+-+page+2/2100-7341_3-5733756-2.html?tag=st.next>

After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac," he said.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com