[X4U] Apple's move to Intel chips

Johns Maillist mymaillist at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 16:17:04 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 6:56 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> An Apple computer is depending on the system, not the processor.
> As they did before from 9 to X and keep classic.
> There might be a problem with heat.  An Intel chip is hotter than
> an IBM one.

I am not sure about the heat point. It seems I read something in
Steve's presentation where he remarks the Intel chips run cooler. I
could be mistaken, but in the report (http://www.macrumors.com/) the
reference that they are (Intel cooler) is there.
But, Apple's hardware design experience indicates they have a firm
grasp on the cooling issues, IMHO.
As for the Mac on a regular Pentium based system, I believe that they
are probably far enough along on this that while some developers may
be able to make an emulator work, for the general population, I
believe Apple will be able to restrict the OS to Apple hardware only.