[X4U] Help - Powerbook woes!

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 07:56:23 PDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Peter Payne wrote:

> I've got a problem with my Powerbook 17 inch 1.5 ghz. After using
> it in a car with a Kensington car adapter, it suddenly will shut
> off instantly whenever the power plug is plugged or unplugged --
> either one. It shuts off and also loses its settings like clock,
> and thinks it's 1969. I reset the power manager and pram and it's
> still doing it. If I set the clock correctly, then reboot (but
> leave the plug in), it keeps the clock time okay, but any pulling
> out of the plug causes the machine to lose everything. Is there
> anything else I can try?!

Peter,

Is your battery charging okay?  Can you run the computer on battery?
It sounds like the battery is shot?

Otherwise, it sounds like a hardware problem.  I'd bring it in to a
Genius or call AppleCare.  It sounds like when you pull the plug you
are disengaging the battery power briefly.

Peter

"I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million Mac
zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced."

-- One Slashdot reader comments on Apple's switch to Intel.

Peter Krug
pkrug at mac.com