[X4U] Apple's move to Intel 64 bit?

Scott McCulloch mylists at ascottmcculloch.com
Wed Jun 8 13:42:31 PDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 10:32 AM, T.L. Miller wrote:

> On 6/8/05, at 10:09 AM, Scott McCulloch,
> <mylists at ascottmcculloch.com> said:
>

>> I tried to find where I had seen that story - I think it was
>> AppleInsider (so perhaps that means take it with a grain of salt?) --
>> but when I went through my Safari history for the day, and found the
>> AppleInsider entry I thought it probably was, the story was gone - as
>> in the history link went to the site, but there was no entry.
>>
>> So, perhaps that was something they couldn't get any kind of
>> verification on so they deleted it?
>>

> Here's what Steve Mac showed:
>
> <http://homepage.mac.com/tlmiller/About_This_Mac.jpg>
>

> Tom Miller

Yes, that is what he *showed*... and I suspect that's probably what
was in the box, a Pentium4 3.6Ghz -- although I also suspect that
Steve has enough pull at Apple that the About this Mac could have
said whatever he wanted.

I found another link to the story I saw:

HD for Indies ( http://www.hdforindies.com/ ) quotes AppleInsider:

AppleInsider | Extremely powerful Pentium system used to demo Mac OS
X on Intel It's believed Apple required an extra boost in the quad-
pentium system to highlight Rosetta, a dynamic binary translator used
to convert existing PowerPC binaries to run on the Intel platform
transparently to the user and in real-time.
- now it looks like Apple might have been demo-ing on a quad
processor system after all. I don't trust that this is right, but
it's worth finding out the truth.

But the AI article - http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1117
- is no longer there.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything ;-) (my tendency would be
to trust that what we were shown was accurate) but it seems a little
odd that AI would just delete the story rather than write that they
had confirmation that it was just a single Pentium4 in Steve's demo
box -- or at least a retraction saying that they had no good
confirmation of it being anything else.

There's always such fun, second-guessing, and general FUD just before
and just after a keynote from Steve!

Scott