[X4U] Re: Apple's move to Intel chips

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Jun 9 01:49:56 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:08:40AM CDT, Timothy Luoma <lists at tntluoma.com> wrote:
:
: On Jun 8, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Robert Tillyard wrote:
:
: >Universal Binaries don't have to be limited to PPC/Intel, Apple
: >could add in a many architectures as it sees fit, so who knows
: >maybe Power5, AMD64 or SPARC in the future. My PPC/Intel "Fat"
: >binary is 880KB, the same thing for Win95->XP is 5MB so there's
: >room for a few more.
: >
: >Maybe Apple have other platforms running in their "Just in case
: >dept.".
:
: OpenStep was running on NeXT, Intel, HP, and Sparc, but NeXT and
: Intel were by far the most popular.  I can't imagine Apple announcing
: a switch to Sparc 5 years from now... but who knows ;-?

That depends on whether Sun survives or whether SPARCs survive.
But unless the majority of the consumer computer masses suddenly
jump to another chip platform, Apple will safe coat-tailing the
momentum/inertia of the rest of the PC industry.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/