[X4U] Mac Equivalents of Windows apps (was Re: Apple's move to Intel chips)

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Fri Jun 10 05:50:19 PDT 2005

At 2:43 AM -0400, 6/10/05, Timothy Luoma wrote:

>>If you use VersionTracker as your measure, maybe. But the number of
>>applications, particularly in business environments, that do not
>>have Mac equivalents (or if they do they're 3 steps behind) is
>>staggering.
>
>At the risk of derailing any of the myriad of threads about Intel vs PPC....
>
>What apps / types of apps are you thinking about?
>
>The only thing I haven't found a replacement for is ACT (calendar +
>contact management).  Mac has them, but nothing as good.

When you get into the vertical market situation, which is really
where a lot of business is, there is only PC OSs with PC programs.

Every insurance company uses PCs which then flows down to their
brokers, and agents.
Every petroleum company uses PCs which then flows all the way down to
their gas stations.
Essentially every franchisor users PCs which then flows down to their
franchisees (Think Subway sandwich)

That is a lot of PCs that will never change to a different OS. In
vertical markets, the guys at the top dictate what will be used all
the way down the hill.
--

Robert Ameeti

Gambling is a tax on stupidity.