[X4U] Scary widget

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Fri Jun 10 07:51:19 PDT 2005

There is nothing special about "cookies", they are just plain text files
stored within your filesystem, and so they are available to any other
application.  They are not, however, available to other websites while
using the browser -- as the browser will only serve to a website the
cookies that are "owned" by that web site.  It is conceivable that a
third party application can access your cookies and submit them to some
server in the Internet, just as any other file in your computer could be
harvested in the same way.  This is the realm of spyware applications,
which can only perform their functions when locally executed on a
computer by an authorized user (except in Windows computers, where they
seem to be allowed to be installed and executed automatically by some
browsers).  For this reason, you should be careful when installing new
software (specially widgets), and make sure you trust the source.  Also
be careful to check what the websites you visit are storing in cookies.
  Some really braindead sites store important personal information,
along with passwords, completely unencrypted.

	dZ.