[X4U] PCI or PCI-X Slots - which is better?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Jun 10 10:02:57 PDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 5:06 pm, coolcat at hostalive.com wrote:

> The Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 has 3 PCI slots but the Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC
> G5 has
> 3 PCI-X Slots.
>
> Q:
> - Which type of slot is better?

Technically, the PCI-X. That's why Apple put it only on the high-end
machine.

> - Do the PCI-X Slots accept older PCI?

I'm sure they are - someone else will confirm, but I'd be shocked to
find that you can't use standard PCI cards on Apple's highest spec G5.

> - How many products in in either format?

PCI-X is, I believe, only interesting for high-bandwidth peripherals. A
Google reveals SATA-RAID controllers using PCI-X -  but perhaps you
should read: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X>

Stroller.