[X4U] Safari - not remembering visited links

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Jun 10 12:45:47 PDT 2005

On 06/10/05, "coolcat at hostalive.com" <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:

> Currently, Safari is not remembering visited links past a day or 2...
>
> - is there some way to control this so they last for 30 days or so?
> - What file are they stored in? ( May be the permissions are not set
> correctly for that file...?)

BTW, I just checked the
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Headers/WebHistoryItem.h
file (Tiger-I don't run Panther anymore, so I don't know if it's applicable
there) and see that it discusses a HistoryAgeInDaysLimit which one can use
to set the maximum number of days to be read from stored history. [See
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/WebKit/ObjC_classic/Classes/WebHistoryItem.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001898>
for details.]

Based on my earlier post, you do this in terminal to add the age in days
limit (not currently in the Safari plist) and set it to 30 days:

defaults write com.apple.safari WebKitHistoryAgeInDaysLimit 30

AFAIK, if you change the WebKitHistoryItemLimit and add then
WebKitHistoryAgeInDaysLimit, then which ever limit you hit first determines
what you'll see in Safari's history.