[X4U] Safari - not remembering visited links

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Jun 12 12:10:02 PDT 2005

On 06/12/05,  revDAVE <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/05 1:24 AM, "John Baltutis" <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Only if the permissions on the com.apple.safari.plist files in
>> ~/Library/Preferences/ were read only.
>
> Yes John - that's actually what my situation was several years back for some
> crazy reason ...
>
>>If that was the case and other
>> preferences files are read only, you have severe permissions problems with
>> your setup. AFAIK, they should all be read & write for you (the admin user
>> and your username group)-at least that's what mine show.
>
>  I noticed something else that maybe you can shed some light on ... For a
> very long time now, when I save a Web-page in safari, the save window opens
> very slowly - then I save - then it closes slowly also...
>
> *  as of this morning - after applying some of the changes in this thread -
> which basically amounted to  fooling with this preference text:
>
>  <key>WebKitHistoryAgeInDaysLimit</key>
>  <string>365</string>
>  <key>WebKitHistoryItemLimit</key>
>  <string>9999</string>
>
> -  and trying some of your ideas and the terminal:
>
> defaults write com.apple.safari WebKitHistoryItemLimit 1000
>
> ... *  then I am happy to report that the safari save window has gone from a
> dead slow crawl to lightning fast!!!!
>
> Q:   the question I have is why did this happen? Since I believe my old
> WebKitHistoryItemLimit was something small like 200 (verses some incredibly
> large number) ...  I don't know how this would affect the  save window...
> Any ideas? Even more importantly -  if this happens again in the future -
> how can I fix it again?

I don't know. I haven't seen any slowdown using the save window.

> Also -  I am keeping my fingers crossed - but it appears ( prior to this
> thread) -  that the latest version of safari has fixed longstanding bug:
>
> -  let's assume we had a Web-page listing lots of other Web page articles -
> ( such as a Google search results page)
> -  I would sometimes command click from the main page, on 10 or more of the
> links - opening up 10 separate pages -  then I would go through them one by
> one and hand save each individually ...  The bug was - that sometimes
> randomly in the middle of trying to save - safari would crash -  no
> particular order or reason ...  Now this problem has seemed to vanish - but
> as I said I am keeping my fingers crossed ...
>
> ...  Many times I submitted a bug report to Apple - maybe they finally
> listened

Could be, I never did the multiple page opening, so I can't say.

For those who might be interested in how I discovered the various plist
additions, here's a bit of history (apply the same logic to any
com.apple.xxxx.plist file).

I read the Safari.plist file using the command:
defaults read com.apple.safari
This showed things like:
WebKitDefaultFontSize = 16;
WebKitDefaultTextEncodingName = "ISO-8859-1";
WebKitHistoryItemLimit = 1500;

This led me to search Apple's Developer site
<http://developer.apple.com/macosx/> for webkit programming. That led to
Web Kit Objective-C Programming Guide at
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/DisplayWebContent/index.html>.
Knowing that all web related applications use bits and pieces from this,
led me to "Managing History" which pointed to the
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Headers/WebHistory.h
file. That file contains the various WebHistoryItems, so I concluded any of
those could be added to the the Safari plist (drop it on TextEdit and you
can read the details). One of those was historyAgeInDaysLimit which I
changed to WebKitHistoryAgeInDaysLimit to conform to other Safari plist
items.