[X4U] Apple's move to Intel 64 bit?

Adam Bass abasscube at mac.com
Sun Jun 12 21:09:45 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 12:23 PM, Scott McCulloch wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 9:13 AM, Richard Gilmore wrote:
>

>> Will the MacTel's Pentiums be 64bit?
>>

> Not according to this:
> http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050607081920942
>
> Which does seem disappointing, or confusing, or something to me,
> given Apple's insistence that 64bit was an important step for OS X,
> one of the benefits of G5s, etc. I certainly bought the argument...
> so I'm not quite sure how to take this.
>
> Scott

Could you please quote or paraphrase what Macfixit says regarding
this? The page you linked to is only available to Macfixit Pro
subscribers. Macworld says they think Apple would probably not
abandon the 64-bit architecture, and that Intel has made 64-bit chips
(although not very successful ones as far as I know), and that Intel
would probably make a 64-bit chip for Apple. Of course, this is
completely based on conjecture, and there's no proof one way or the
other that I know of. I'm curious as to how Macfixit came to the
conclusion that Intel would not make a 64-bit chip for Apple. Are
they just guessing. It seems like no one would know that information
yet.

Adam