[X4U] Mac Equivalents of Windows apps (was Re: Apple's move to Intel chips)

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Jun 13 06:27:52 PDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 11:54 PM, Steve Self wrote:

> I know there are a few people who absolutely need Win to run an app
> or two that are either not available in OSX or what is available in
> OSX is substandard.
>
> At the same time I feel the huge software choices touted for
> Windows is kinda a false front.

Just as another data point, much of that software is several years
old too. Why does that matter? Because much of it runs just as well
under VPC as it does on a Windows machine. My sister (a PC family)
and I had a little "competition"  a couple years ago. She had her
Dell P4, I had my G4 Quicksilver with VPC. Our kids brought home all
kinds of games from the public library -most Windows games generally
requiring Win 95/ME. I was able to run just as many PC games as she
could. Yes, some of the "newer" ones were noticeably slower on  the
Mac, but then she couldn't run any of the Mac games.

Now if we're talking about software written in the last couple years,
the story would be completely different. But partially because of
that little experiment, I always wonder if its true when someone says
their PC will run more software, or they have to have a PC to run
some legacy app.

Just some food for thought. If you're really going to be running a PC
only app for your livelihood, I'm not going to say a PC isn't your
best choice.

-Mike