[X4U] Ownership and permissions Settings

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Jun 15 12:16:04 PDT 2005

On 06/15/05, revDAVE <coolcat at hostalive.com> wrote:

> Using 10.3.9 -  I have a small network of a few Macs (with some external
> FireWire drives attached) and PC's.
>
> Question: what the best ownership and permission settings for the Internal
> and  FireWire drives?

normal boot volume, with you as administrator

>  you can = read and write
>   owner = xxx?
normally, the system (root)
>  access = xxx?
normally, read & write

>   group = xxx?
normally, admin
>  access = xxx?
normally, read & write

>   others = xxx?
normally, read only

Since you're the only one using the computers on your network, they should
all reflect the settings on your boot volume. See the manpages for chmod,
chown, and chgrp.

> Also: as I understand it, it is a bad idea generally to check = "  ignore
> ownership on this volume" ... True? Knowing this, several months back I made
> sure that none of my hard drives add this option checked ... However, I just
> look again and some of them were checked ...

Yes, keep it unchecked unless you're experiencing problems. See
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151824> and
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151825>.

> And no one but me uses my
> computer's. I regularly repair disk permissions and occasionally run  disk
> warrior ... So - what could have switched this? I rarely used cocktail or
> tinkertool ...  Could they have done something?

Don't know.