[X4U] Re: Wireless "theft"

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Wed Jun 15 20:15:24 PDT 2005

At 10:41 PM -0400, 6/15/05, Peter Apockotos wrote:

>On Jun 15, 2005, at 10:28 PM, Stroller wrote:
>

>>On Jun 16, 2005, at 3:07 am, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>>

>>>What I am getting at is that I've set up over a hundred wireless
>>>networks for my business clients. On every one of them, I've set
>>>them up as open networks. Not a single client has ever had a
>>>problem with this type of setup. They locked down their servers
>>>and computers and knowingly have their internet connections open...
>>>

>>Whilst I admire your philosophy, the problem is that you clients'
>>competitors could be reading every email they send, perusing any
>>documents your clients access over their wireless networks.
>>Although WEP isn't enough to deter a really determined attacker,
>>WPA might be, and either is an order of magnitude more of a
>>deterrent than saying "here's all my confidential data, come and
>>read it".
>>
>>Whilst the risk of one of _your_ customers being targeted for
>>privileged information by passive packet-sniffing is very low, do
>>you really want to risk being asked the question: "what you mean,
>>you didn't bother to encrypt our network?"
>>
>>Stroller
>
>And then you have to worry about someone using your connection for
>kiddy porn or fraud.

And the odds of this are ... ?  Probably as high as your neighbor
filling up his swimming pool from your water hose. You do have a good
hardened lock on that don't you? Anything is possible. Would be wiser
I imagine to spend more time on the probable.
--

Robert Ameeti

Lead me not into temptation. I can find it myself.