[X4U] Re: Wireless "theft"

ed edjusted at layerblue.net
Thu Jun 16 11:37:50 PDT 2005

I had an open wireless router in my home...one day I received a cease-and-desist from my ISP for downloading movies. Apparently one of my neighbors was using it (and geez...could they at least have picked a *good* movie to pirate? But I digress...). Did my ISP care that I wasn't guilty? Nope. It's coming over my connection. I'm responsible.

The only solution? Lock up the wireless router.

If someone is using your connection to download anything illegal (movies, music, child p*rn, etc), guess who'll be at least *initially* "responsible"?

While I admire the philosphy of "helping society" to freebies...nothing is ever free. Somehow, somewhere, someone is paying for the "free" connection. If that someone is willing to pay. Great! If not...oh well...

Ed