[X4U] Re: Wireless "theft"

peter peterstj at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 17 06:58:09 PDT 2005

	I question the concept of wireless "theft."  This does not seem consistent
with existing law.   It seems to me the shoe is on the other foot.

	If a neighbor's apple tree extends a branch over my yard, the apples from
that limb that fall into my yard are mine.  If the rotten apples are
causing me harm, I can force him to cut the limb off.

	If a person sends electronic waves onto my property they should be mine to
use.  If someone does not want me using their waves, they need to keep them
off of my property.   Seems to me that a good case could be made that the
sender of the waves is polluting the air and should be made to stop.  I
expect this question to come before the Supreme Court before long.

	Not long ago, on a mailing list for bicycle tourists, someone asked about
the best place to find Wi-Fi hotspots to check e-mail while on tour.  The
immediate answer came back that in front of just about any apartment house
would do.  Usually there will be an open network or two.  On person noted
that he has six opportunities to connect between his house and the
corner.  This is all in public space.  There is no more theft here than
picking up a penny off the sidewalk.

	Do not be surprised if someone in the not-so-distant future severe limits
will be placed on where one can broadcast various electronic waves.

				Peter