[X4U] Re: Wireless theft

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Thu Jun 23 11:52:35 PDT 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Vicki Allwardt wrote:

> What is the general opinion of "Little Snitch" (Version Tracker) or
> Net Barrier?

Apps like these are much more necessary on Windows (ZoneAlarm or
BlackIce) as they are a good way to spot spyware on your system.

On Mac, they are not strictly speaking necessary (you can do the same
thing with commandline tools) but they are much nicer and more Mac-Like.

My biggest issue with Little Snitch is that I think $25 is way too
much for a little app like this.  Now, mind you I'm not against
paying for useful software (I own LaunchBar by the same author) and
I'm sure that's the price point that the author thought gives him the
best chance of, you know, getting paid for his work given the
relatively small market.

If it were $15 I'd buy it today just to have it, and $20 would
probably be "close enough" but for some reason $25 is just too high
for me.

Net Barrier, which I was not familiar with until I Googled it (http://
www.intego.com/netbarrier/) is $70 which is, of course, much more
than Little Snitch but also does a lot more, almost overwhelmingly
more.  I'd probably lean towards in, but then again I'm a bit of a geek.

So it depends on what you want.  I've heard lots of people who like
Little Snitch and it does what they need.  I haven't heard much about
Net Barrier but that doesn't mean much.

TjL