[X4U] IChat Suggestions? - And wireless router for iChat?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Thu Jun 23 20:47:49 PDT 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Rod Duncan wrote:
> Do we need .mac accounts or can we iChat AV without? Prefer
> something free and not AOL.

simply sign up for a free AIM screen name; it works as expected in
iChatAV

> I am using an old MacSense router and Airport (both 1st
> Generation). I purchased her a "on sale" wireless router from
> TRENDnet (model TEW-431BRP) Bought myself one, too - as it was so
> cheap.  $25 after rebates. I know Apple has a list of approved
> routers with the proviso that others may work. Anyone using this
> wireless router iChatting? Suggestions to use iChat with routers,
> settings, URL links etc. much

Even $25 is expensive nowadays; Belkin and Netgear routers can be
found nearly every weekend on sale for around $10 after rebates from
major chain stores.  I've had great luck with Belkin wireless routers
in both the b and g varieties.  Generally, the only snag you might
come into is if you have to forward the appropriate ports for iChat
to work through the built-in firewall.

Michael