[X4U] Powerbook screen too dark outside

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Mon Jun 27 06:41:21 PDT 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 10:08, Anne-Marie Concepcion wrote:

> Even with the screen at its brightest, it's like I'm working with
> black ink on medium-gray paper, barely any contrast. It's very hard to
> see what I'm doing especially when I'm trying to write an email like
> this, with 10 point geneva.

Have you looked at other PowerBooks in the same environment? Could it
be a problem with your particular machine?

Assuming it isn't, why not fiddle with Mac OS X accessibility options?
Enhanced contrast or white-on-black might help.

Here's a more theoretical idea: Polarized glasses.

With the correct polarization, polarized glasses would block much of
the ambient light, while allowing the LCD screen light to pass
unimpeded. The problem is that polarized sunglasses are commonly made
for drivers, and they are designed to block horizontal light. LCD
displays these days are no longer made with horizontal polarization,
yet usually they have angles smaller than 45deg, which means they would
be blocked to a greater or lesser degree by such sunglasses. Maybe some
intrepid soul has already come up with a pair of glasses with the
correct polarization. Or perhaps you can cut your own clip-ons -- or
even try cellophane

<http://individual.utoronto.ca/iizuka/research/
cellophane.htm#cellophane>

<0x0192>