[X4U] Firewire or USB 2

Judi Sohn momathome at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 17:57:45 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:08:18 +0000, Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> <rant>
> Why can't more peripherals contain a hub, so I can daisy-chain them?
> Why can't Apple just put a few more USB slots in the back? I built an
> Athlon 64 for a customer the same week my G5 arrived & it had 6 ports
> in the back, compared to my G5's measly 3!!
> </rant>

Amen. This drives me nuts. My $500 PC has 8 ports (6 in the back, 2 in
the front), why is Apple so stingy? Yes, I know you can chain USB
devices. In theory. In reality, most devices insist on being attached
to the computer or close to it. I've found that I can get away with
attaching a few to the back of my Cinema Display but most of the time
I'm playing "shuffle the ports" while my powered USB hub is half empty
because devices don't want to be attached to it (I get a "low power"
message or something to that effect).

Judi Sohn, judi at momathome.com
Mom at Home Design, http://www.momathome.com
AIM: JudiS217