[X4U] Giant File Created -console.log

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 17:23:09 PST 2005

On 03/07/05, you wrote:

> My buddy Brian has this problem on his g 5 running the latest Panther.
>
> -  does anyone know why this was created - and what it is?
> -  can he throw this out?
> -  he said it appeared after a crash -  which should he do about this?
>

> The file:
>
> Macintosh HD>Library>Logs>Console>brian>console.log.1
>
> Was created on Saturday and is 2.4 GB.  Nothing will open it (tried
> TextEdit, tired Word(showed 4 characters), tried Resorcerer (crashed)),
> and maybe it is unnecessary?  Everything seems to be working fine,
> maybe I can just throw it away.

It's a standard Console log file stored for historical purposes; there are
up to ten of them. The system rotates log files everytime it runs
maintenance tasks. Launch the Console app in Utilities, select File->Open
Quickly->/Library/Logs/Console/brian->console.log.1-that will open it up.
You can definitely throw all of them, except the one entitled console.log,
away.