[X4U] Re: Looking For A Good Black-and-white Laser Printer

Vince Lewis vplewis at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 07:38:40 PST 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 7:05 AM, revDAVE wrote:

> On 3/9/05 4:49 AM, "Sean Collins" <sean at hogheaven.com> wrote:
>
>>> From: Allan Hise <allan at hise.org>
>>>
>>> Is there anything comparable with an ethernet port?
>>>
>>> Allan
>>
>> I missed most of this thread, so I don't know if this has been
>> mentioned or not.
>>
>> Apples old Lasewwriters are fully supported in OS X, and you can find
>> them pretty cheap.  I got a Laswewriter Pro 630 from a university
>> surplus sale for $25. It worked but needed a good cleaning.
>> Eventually replaced the rubber rollers & pickups, which I got off
>> ebay for $35
>>
>> Pure plug-n-play, recognized right off the bat by OS X.  Plugged in
>> via ethernet, so it's available to all 4 computers on my network.
>> Fast, quiet and excellent print quality.
>>
>> Has been in service now for 2+ years w/out problems.
>
> -  now that is very interesting to me - because I have a laser writer
> select
> 360 - which used to work very well - and then finally - it got it
> faded on
> the right side of the page - even after cleaning - and a new toner
> cartridge. Some repairman said that there was no way replace the other
> part
> ( it might be called a drum - but I don't know...)  and it was
> basically at
> its life's end.
>
>  It would be interesting to find out if I could in fact repair this
> printer
> relatively cheaply - because originally it cost $1,200.
>
>  Any ideas How to repair?
> --
> Thanks - RevDave
> CoolCat at hostalive.com
> [db-lists]

That's a common problem of the 360, with a solution--if you have a
qualified service shop nearby. I had mine done about a year ago, and it
works better than new now (they adjusted the manual paper feed to work
properly with envelopes).
There's also this: <http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/Apple/K63>
ciao,
Vince