[X4U] Re: Looking For A Good Black-and-white Laser Printer

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Mar 9 17:46:06 PST 2005

On 3/9/05 11:25 AM, "Randy B.Singer" <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

> An old Apple LaserWriter can be made to work with a modern Mac if
> *either* the LaserWriter has an Ethernet connection (Which, I'm afraid,
> is rare for Apple LaserWriters.  Only the 630 and 16/600 had one.) or if
> you use a LocalTalk to Ethernet adapter

Actually, there are several other LaserWriters that had ethernet ports. In
some cases they weren't RJ45 ports, but they were ethernet. The LW Iig had
ethernet. The awful and huge LW8500 had ethernet. I know there were a few
others, too. My 8500 was the hugest piece of beige metal in my house and
broke often enough to be a part of my resistance exercise program (because
I'd be forced to carry it back and forth the a laser printer repair place.
The last time I brought it to them they said "don't bring it back again;
these things are hopeless!"

Jim Robertson