[X4U] Re: Looking For A Good Black-and-white Laser Printer

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Mar 10 10:15:03 PST 2005

photo at studiosaid.com said:

>So pardon my ignorance, but I always thought *emulation* meant
>second-fiddle to the real thing, rhinestone as opposed to diamonds.
>Can't we get actual Postscript any more? What does emulation really mean
>in the world of printing Illustrator and Photoshop documents?

In this case it isn't so much emulation as it is a "clone."  There is no
performance penalty.

When Postscript clones first came out, they weren't very good, producing
some printing anomolies.  But that was over a decade ago.  Postscript
clones are fine now, and apparently they help to keep the price of a
laser printer down substantially over licensing real Adobe Postscript.

I haven't heard a complaint about a Postscript clone in ages.

As far as I know, only Xerox and GCC laser printers still have real Adobe
Postscript in their consumer-class laser printers.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html