[X4U] Brother 1440 versus Brother 2040 - Reasons?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Mar 12 15:50:34 PST 2005

Scott McCulloch said:

>I've got the HL-1850 with the RAM maxed out at 144MB. Overall, I really
>like this printer (especially the built-in duplexing) - however, even
>with all that RAM, it still seems to take forever to print pdfs and any
>other files with any graphics in them. Is this more likely a function
>of something to do with this printer? Or is the USB interface the
>bottleneck?

I doubt that USB is the problem. Even USB 1.1 is about the same speed as
a 10Base-T Ethernet connection. (12Mb/sec vs. 10Mb/sec)  I wouldn't
expect it to be a huge bottleneck, and clearly it isn't for HL-1440
owners.

It's hard to say what the problem might be.  The HL-1850 is a Postscript
(clone) printer.  It should be able to print PDF's really quickly.  Are
you sure that the settings in Acrobat are set to take advantage of a
Postscript printer?  That is, is Acrobat set to print PDF's as a bitmap,
rather than as Postscript?  You may want to juggle the settings to see if
that makes a difference.

http://www.brother.com/usa/printer/info/hl1850/hl1850_spe.html

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html