[X4U] DHCP Renewal

godfatherK godfatherk at mac.com
Sat Mar 12 22:58:50 PST 2005

> I got a strange problem.
> I just got installed with Adelphia cable.  Everything seemed dandy
> until the DHCP lease expired after 12 hours.  Apparently, there wasn't
> any DHCP lease renewal request made.
>
> The set up is simple.
> cable modem > Linksys router > Macs
> As it is set up, using the Linksys router web interface, I have to
> manually request DHCP renewal.  In fact, it's the same without the
> router.
> Linksys has no answers.  Adelphia has already swapped the modem for
> me, but the problem persists.
>
> Am I missing something?
> How do I tell the modem to automatically renew the DHCP lease?

Finally the good news has come!… by way of Google.

Further research using our favorite search engine led to a forum where
I found out about the availability of the latest firmware for the
Linksys Router (BEFSR41) at version 1.46.02
Upgrading the firmware solved the problem.

It's the first thing that I suspected, but soon overlooked because the
initial search at VersionTracker didn't turn up the latest firmware.
Moreover, during the subsequent chat support sessions with Linksys
never had a mention of the firmware.
Oh well.