[X4U] Ethernet hub recommendations?

Anne-Marie Concepcion mylists at senecadesign.com
Sun Mar 13 05:01:29 PST 2005

I have an old XSense M120 ... 4 slow Ethernet ports, one cross port
and one DSL uplink port (hooked up to the DSL modem), with NAT and a
usable browser admin panel. It's expanded with another XSense
hub/router/switcher thingie (never sure of the distinction) that has
8 additional slow Ethernet ports.

MacSense hasn't updated firmware for it since 2001 and I'm pretty
sure the product is abandoned. The apparent replacement is an M130
which doesn't look/function much different, as far as I can tell.
Their focus is elsewhere these days.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fast, Mac OS X-savvy,
recent vintage Ethernet DSL router/hub/switcher thingie with NAT and
6 or 8 ports?  Hooked up to my Ethernet hub are:
- Color laser printer
- Airport Express
- 1 Lombard PowerBook (no Airport)
- 3 G4 PowerBooks with various Airport  cards (some fast some slow)
- 1 Dell 4500 S (no wireless card)

I like having the flexibility with the powerbooks to use Ethernet
(there's ports all over the house with a patch panel in the basement)
vs. Airport if Airport is acting flaky or can't get a signal. But
it's okay with me if a couple of the PBs are Airport-only as they're
used only off and on.... also I'm planning on adding a small file
server to the network (subject for a future post, heh) which I assume
should be Ethernet.

Thanks
AM